The facts and my musings about my life as a mother with mental health problems. How we all cope as a family. Parenting my child through depression and anxiety. Candid, sometimes bleak, sometimes hopeful, but always honest. One post won't tell you my story- follow me to get to know my life.
Wednesday, 20 June 2012
It got me thinking about my daughter, and something she's become comfortable with telling us and others recently. If she doesn't want to be touched, hugged or kissed, she will say so. Very clearly.
We haven't coached her to do this. Frankly, we thought she was too young to explain the concept to. But somehow, she's learned it all on her own. I'm so proud and relieved.
If someone tries to hug, kiss or touch her in anyway when she doesn't want to be, she will say firmly, "No cuddle!" or "No kiss!" or, most surprisingly, "No! My body!"
Sometimes this means we don't get hugs from her when we want them. And that can sting the feelings a little. But she is right- it is her body, and if she doesn't want to be touched, nobody- including us- has the right to make her.
My wee gem is a really affectionate girl by nature. She loves to hug and kiss everyone that she loves. There is no shortage of hugs in our house!
But it's perfectly natural that sometimes she doesn't want to. And how wonderful is it that she's learned that it's ok to say no to touching already. It makes me feel reassured that if the unthinkable happened, and someone tried to touch her inappropriately, she is already well on her way to learning the confidence to know that's never ok. We will keep encouraging her to stand up for her personal rights, and to know that only she gets to decide what happens to her body.
- Swapping a punch in the face for a pat on the back...
- Depression and anxiety. A two-headed beast Mamamia...
- Gripping onto positvity with all my power
- Feeling flat as a pancake- why, why, why?
- Wow- this could be life changing.
- Funny Confession Ecard: Silence is Golden, except ...
- My 2 year old knows how to express her rights to h...
- Dyed my hair crazy colours- had a visit from a soc...
- Baby Squared with Jane Roper
- Wow! People are reading my posts?
- I have a little energy this morning- just a little...
- Hi- I'm a little scared about doing this....
- ▼ June (12)
- Hi! I'm Maya and I'm here to blog about my life as a mother with mental health problems. I'm getting a lot out of reading the blogs of others and their experiences, so I'm giving sharing my own a go. I'm pretty approachable, so if you want to talk to me or ask me a question, go ahead :-)